– A website is like shop front, and like every shop front you need an address to tell visitors where to go. It’s that simple!
- Intuitive web based Domain Control Panel (DCP)
- Easy-to-use bulk domain tools
- Manage your DNS records
- Premium Technical Support, located here in Sydney Australia
- Globally distributed and highly redundant DNS infrastructure
- Register, Renew, Transfer, your domain(s)
- Make changes to several Domain Names in a few simple steps
– Registering a new Domain name is almost instant, if you’re transferring a domain name it usually takes up to 72 hours to complete.
– It is best to keep close to your trading or company name, small variations can also be acceptable too. If it’s a commercial business, .com.au domains are the most popular here in Australia.
– If you’re already a customer it makes managing your online presence easier, since all of your hosting and domains will be with us.
– Every country has its own domain extension, which is an important part of your full web address. The Australian country extension is .au, and .com.au is the most popular option for businesses.
There are also extensions for two Australian cities – .sydney and .melbourne – that have become very popular for local targeted businesses.
Here are the Australian domain names you can choose:
- .com.au – This is the classic option for businesses. It is also the default that many people type in their browsers, so it’s a good idea to reserve it for your business’s address.
- .net.au – A common choice for business websites or technology firms. It’s also a good option if the .com.au version is taken.
- .org.au – Meant for non-profit charities and organisations.
- .asn.au – Open for political parties, trade unions, sporting clubs, charities, incorporated associations and non-profits.
- .id.au – Meant for personal websites for Australian citizens and residents. They cannot be used for businesses.
- .sydney – For businesses and people located in Sydney, NSW.
- .melbourne – For businesses and people located in Melbourne, VIC.
Having an Australian web address gives you a local presence for your business and brand. It also makes it easy for users to find and identify you in search engines as having a recognisable Australian address.
– Choosing a domain name is a key step to having a successful online presence. Domain names are also known as web addresses, and they represent your online business, project or blog just like your street address represents your physical location. The following tips will help you choose the right one.
Refer to your business
If your business is called Jack of all Trades, then the name Jackofalltrades.com.au is a natural choice. If it’s not available, then you can try other variations like alltrades.com.au, joat.com.au or even jackofalltrades.net.au. If you’re located in Sydney or Melbourne you could even look at kevofalltrades.sydney or the .melbourne variation. Just make sure you use some reference of your name, brand or idea.
Keep it short and sweet
The shorter your domain, the easier it is to remember. Abbreviations or half abbreviations like joat.com.au are very popular.
Choose a name that represents you or your products. Don’t register an address similar to a competing business or website with the same products or content.
Make it local
Choose a geographical extension that represents where your business is located. For example, .com.au is used for websites in Australia and .co.uk is used for websites in Britain. Each country has its own popular type.
Protect your brand
Register multiple domains and direct them all to your main site to protect your brand. If you have registered .com.au, registering .com as well will stop anyone from using your brand. Make sure your address looks professional and don’t use a bunch of numbers, hyphens and slang words. Remember, this will be part of your email addresses, so you want to look good.
Can’t decide among your options?
There are no limits to how many domains you can register. Many business will register multiple versions and have them all redirect to one website or park them for future projects.
– After you have registered your web address you can connect it to your website or start using it to create email addresses. The options are endless.
Our Domain Manager comes free, making it simple to set up, manage and connect multiple services.